Friday 24 July 2009

As the esmoking market matures - is smaller better??

There's comfort in a familiar habit - that much we all know, and, for a market as young as the esmoking market, there's comfort for those folks who are taking their first steps into using electronic cigarettes in the newest "super-mini" types. In a nutshell, a "super-mini" looks like an analogue cigarette - it's the same size, has a red "cherry" on the end to imitate a real cigarette, and even features a mouthpiece that looks like the filter on a real ciggie.



It's heavier, yes, but otherwise feels pretty familiar in the hand, and handles pretty much the same as the cancer stick we're all used to. So, in some ways, that's a good thing, but miniaturisation brings with it a few problems:

Battery life



It's pretty obvious - a small battery can only hold a small amount of elastic trickery - and I'm here to tell you that this esmoker has at least four on the go all day, and is constantly recharging, even with the higher capacity "superking" batteries. That's fine when I'm either at work (it's my place - I make the rules) or at home - but out and about, if I'm nowhere near a power point or a car 12v socket, four batteries won't get me through a day (bear in mind I was a 60 a day smoker).

She who must be obeyed, however, had a 15-20 a day habit, and finds two batteries more than adequate on her super-mini.

So, I'm looking at obtaining a "901" - that is smaller than a pen-style unit, but larger - and with a much bigger battery - than a super-mini. Indeed, one is on order as I type this, and I'm hoping it will arrive tomorrow, to give me the chance to evaluate it over a busy weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts on this post.