Thursday 23 July 2009

E-smoking - how it can change your life

When first I came across electronic cigarettes, my first thought was that this was a device that would allow me to beat the smoking ban and enjoy a smoke in a pub or hotel or wherever else smoking was banned, without resorting to actually acting illegally (and risk whoever owned the place getting a nasty fine). My intention was to carry on smoking as normal, but have my Nucig handy for those occasions when it would be inconvenient to spark up a traditional tobacco cigarette.

And, indeed, that's pretty much how many people view vaping - using electronic cigarettes - as a means to get round the ban.

I've been to quite a few pubs and music venues since I took up my Nucig, and it has always attracted attention. I must admit that I tend to use a battery with either a green or blue LED tip, rather than a red one, at least until the management and everybody else has discovered what it is that dangles from my lips and appears to produce "smoke", and I've answered the many questions that get thrown at me.

Passive Smoking

Of course, Passive smoking would worry many - but that's another thing that these clever gadgets get past. That cloud of "smoke" is composed mostly of water vapour, with a small amount of nicotine in it. It condenses back into a teeny tiny amount of water very, very quickly, so there's no blue fug of smoke hanging around, and passive vaping is, as far as I can see, all but impossible. As a pleasant by-product, there's no nasty after-smell, either - no rooms smelling like the bottom of a hamster's cage in the morning.

Some folks have asked about the volume of "smoke" - will it cloud up a room? The answer is no, it won't. I've tried to get a fug going in the smallest room I've got (and it was easy with a normal cigarette), but the vapour, once exhaled, simply doesn't hang around - you just can't get a fug going, no matter how hard you try. Bad news for folks with lighting systems, great news for everybody else.

Stopping Smoking

I haven't. Well, I have. But I haven't. I haven't smoked a tobacco cigarette in over a month, that's true, but I haven't packed in smoking, either. I'm still to be found with what looks like a sleek, black ciggie (or a strange green-ended one), drawing deeply and enjoying everything I always have done with a smoke, but without the known cancer risks - as I see it, I've simply changed brand and cut out everything about cigarettes that made me uncomfortable - the effect on other folks, particularly non-smokers, the mouth like the bottom of a parrot's cage in the morning, the smell in my house, and, of course, the tar, carbon monoxide and all the other nasties in a normal ciggie.

So, although I'd never intended packing in the weed, it would seem I have - and there's been no wavering or willpower. I actually prefer vaping/e-smoking - prefer the flavour, get a better hit and I can vape anywhere.

It's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts on this post.